Sunday, October 11, 2009

Mother Knows Best

As the title states, the reality is..."Mother Knows Best."

My loving mother thankfully came down to Ohio University Thursday evening, saving me from my food conundrum. Upon arrival, she lamented about my apartment steps, gawking at the array of smoked cigarettes and empty pizza boxes adorned with chicken bones from a frat party the night before.

"Aimee, I can't believe you live here...when I was a kid..."

"Mom, I know. But Kath, stop picking up the empty beer cans. You'll contract a possible disease."


With that out of the way, she walked into good ol' 402 B on a mission. But first, we had to come up with a game plan. With any important decision the Rancer's involve themselves in, food comes into the equation. My roommates decided to come along for the ride and we walked to our local favorite, The Court Street Diner.

Ordering the most healthy options on the menu (I.E. chili cheese fries and Oreo milkshakes) we concocted an extensive grocery list. One that would make any college student's jaw drop in awe. We vowed on going to Kroger, an awesome alternative to the death pit that is Wal-Mart.

Oh, and by the way...I annihilated those chili cheese fries. I highly suggest, no, I order people to try these things. They will in fact change your life. Besides, who doesn't like any food item smothered in cheesy goodness?

After GreaseFest 09, we get to Kroger with game plan's in our mind like contestants from that tv show, Supermarket Sweep.

"You have to shop smart, Aims. Stick with me kid and you're golden."

Being that she hasn't been wrong in 20 years, I learned to trust her. I anxiously followed her through the aisles, listening attentively to her wise, wise words.

Teaching me the ways of smart shopping and produce, we ended up filling the cart to its capacity.

Night falls and we pay the cashier, making small talk about malnutrition and the cold weather. Two-hundred dollars later, I come back to Courtside with a plethora of dining options.

Next Morning:

Bright and early at 9 a.m. my mother comes back and starts preparing food.

She seems oddly excited about the prospect of meatloaf and chicken noodle soup...from scratch. Now, don't get me wrong, I love food, but are these sentiments shared by all mothers? When I reach 40+ (sorry, Mom) is this what I'll look forward to?

With that aside, I help her cut all the vegetables for our feast.

She's adorable, really. Is that weird to say about your mother? Here she is introducing her interesting knowledge on all things quick to the World Wide Web:







In the end, she ended up making fantastic meals, as seen through the slide show below:










I'm impressed with her know-how and ability to not become stressed about cooking. She parted with some lasting words that I've never been keen to. "Plan, plan, plan. Plan a grocery list, plan a cooking schedule, plan a meal rotation, etc."


So, while i'm still getting the knack for cooking, i'm now associating this with something positive. Cooking with my mom was so enjoyable. Maybe it's the only child syndrome where I never like to be alone.

Let that been know to all you Quick Fix readers. Come help me cook! Make meals with me! Revel in my amateur skills! It's good for a laugh and your stomach.


I also was introduced into the world of tailgating on Saturday. It seems that Ohio State football is somewhat of a subculture in Columbus that I was (surprise, surprise) not aware of. This is coming from the girl who thought "Who Dey" was an actual football player. Sad truth, but I accept that. I thought that tailgates were limited to hot dogs and drunks.

Not so, my friends.

Ohio State tailgating is an all day event. Tents draped with the good ol' Scarlett and Grey were everywhere and the faint smell of smoked sausage filled the air.

I'll tell all you Quick Fix readers something, too. I loved every single minute of it. I can't wait to go again, not for the players, not for the camaraderie in the name of sportsmanship, but for the food.

As seen by the pictures, I sampled all Americana has to offer. Sausage, hot dogs, chips, wraps, cookies, peanuts, etc. were all at my fingertips. Staple items on every proud Mid westerner's foodie list.

So, until my next tailgate, i'm going to continue inquiring about "Who Dey's" capabilities and the fact that the saying, "I got it from my momma" is so, so false.

No comments:

Post a Comment