Sunday, October 25, 2009

Triple D

Last year, my now roommates lived together in Perkins Hall.

After a long, stressful day at the "office"or what I like to call class, I usually trekked down Morton Hill and went into their comfortable dorm room where I could always count on one thing: The Food Network.

Always playing, the Food Network became a constant in Perkins 202 and I thoroughly enjoyed unwinding, watching Giada pronounce 'spaghetti' with an Italian tongue or Bobby Flay, just well, being a complete dick. This is where the Food Network does me wrong.

Now, you may say, "Aimee, that's pretty harsh." But my response to you all is, have you ever seen him? No, honestly. Whenever I used to watch him, my roommates and I sat up, folded our arms and commented on his so-called authority during the show, "Throwdown with Bobby Flay."


I equate all my feelings for the B.Flay with this picture.





Grr....what exactly is he trying to show us!?



I looked at his show on the Food Network and this is his synopsis and highlighted the absurd:

"Chef Bobby Flay is on a secret mission: to challenge the absolute masters in different kinds of cooking – award-winning BBQers, bakers, pizza makers and more. In each episode, one of these cooks thinks Food Network is shooting their profile for a show. What they don't know is that Bobby is going to drop in for a surprise visit and challenge them to an unexpected cook-off. Since they're in their element and Bobby's out of his, prepare for an exciting, tension-filled competition."

The fact is, Mr. Flay, from what I have seen, usually wins every time. And why does he look so smug? I know he's from New York and thinks he needs to take a page from Mark Wahlberg, but really? If that is the case, maybe Bobby Flay needs a Funky Bunch.

Personally, if Bobby Flay challenged me (and I hypothetically would be a well-renowned stir-fry expert) to a stir-fry cook off, I would probably squirt soy sauce in his face and ask, "Who do you think you are?"

Okay, okay. A little extreme, probably. However, this is my very point. Just because you're on the Food Network, does this make you an expert?

I think everyone needs to model themselves off of one show. Like the title says, my friend Sam calls it "Triple D." That's right, in all it's greasy glory..."Diners, Drive-in's and Dives."

This is a show that features a former contestant and winner of the Foodie show, "The Next Food Network Star," Guy Fieri, traveling around the United States in search of unique dining experiences.





If you don't think that's brilliant in some shape or form, I believe you are un-American. The fact is that while Triple D almost puts the viewer under cardiac arrest because of all the grease shown within that half-hour, "Diners, Drive-in's and Dives" is not centered on healthy alternatives involving expensive ingredients, eating on a budget or a food competition. The show revolves around real people, real places and allows you to experience what the United States has to offer.



Until next time, good eatin' to all and to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment